TechRxiv
Generalization_AbilityofDeep_Learning_Algorithms_Trained_using_SEM_DataforObjects_Classification.pdf (815.54 kB)

Generalization Ability of Deep Learning Algorithms Trained using SEM Data for Objects Classification

Download (815.54 kB)
preprint
posted on 03.06.2021, 07:54 by Yasmina ZakyYasmina Zaky, nicolas fortino, Benoit Miramond, Jean-Yves Dauvignac
This paper proposes a workflow to efficiently determine the material of spherical objects and the location of the receiving antenna relative to their position in bi-static measurements using supervised learning techniques. From a single observation, we compare classification performances resulting from the application of several classifiers on different data types: the Ultra-Wide Band scattered field in time and frequency domains and pre-processed data from the Singularity Expansion Method (SEM). Indeed, the resonances extracted using the SEM are aspect independent and therefore, are used to discriminate the objects. As for the residues, they depend upon the aspect angle and can hence be exploited to determine the observation angle. We construct 3 datasets to assess which one yields the highest accuracy while using the simplest and fastest classifiers. Hence, 80% of each dataset is used for training and the remaining 20% are used for testing. In a further step, we test with sphere sizes and data with several noisy levels that were not in the training datasets. Although SEM is noise sensitive, associating a robust feature extraction technique with a simple but reliable classifier is promising, particularly when generalizing to data not included in the training set.

History

Email Address of Submitting Author

yasmina.zaky@unice.fr

Submitting Author's Institution

Universite Cote d'Azur, CNRS, LEAT

Submitting Author's Country

France